WHAT WILL MY CHILD LEARN THIS YEAR?
This is an overview of the skills you can expect your child to learn in the classroom this year:
Grade Skills/Concepts 4
• Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
• Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
• Generate and analyze patterns.
• Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
• Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
• Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
• Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal & fractions.
• Solve problems involving measurement and conversion of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
• Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.
HCS students show Tanager Pride every day by:
1. Being respectful
2. Being responsible
3. Being ready to learn
Tanager Pride Parties will be held throughout the year to congratulate those students who meet our Tanager Pride expectations every day.
The NYS Common Core Mathematics Exams for grades 3-8 will take place on the following dates:
May 2nd - May 9th, 2023
There is no longer a Science State Test in Grade 4
Starting with the 2020-21 school year, we are following the Next Generation Standards for ELA and Math, which are similar to previous Common Core Learning Standards. Click on the link below to view the New York State Next Generation Standards for Pre-K through grade 12:
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me:
Call: 518-632-5222 Ext. 267
The phone does not ring in the classroom during the school day--please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
PLEASE NOTE: Messages may not be received right away, so if you are calling with any matter that requires immediate attention, please call Mrs. Nims at 518-632-5222 Ext. 101.