Special Education Chairperson
Happy Spring to all! It is hard to believe we are nearing the last quarter of the school year. As students, faculty and staff continue to work hard to meet academic standards, your continued support at home is vital for the success of your child/children. Reading with your child/children is one of the most important activities you can do at home to help support success in school. The only way for students to become better readers, is to read more. Just 20 minutes per day of reading outside of school can have a positive impact in the classroom. Working together, we can better prepare students with college and career readiness skills.
Beyond the classroom, elementary students are enjoying some after school clubs and activities in addition to special activities within the school day. In addition to The Hartford Star Newspaper Club and Learning Club, students are “buddy reading,” participating in after school enrichment programs, participating in band and/or Tanager Voices, planning the first Country Family Dance sponsored by Elementary Student Government, engaging in a 4th and 5th grade Career Day, and preparing for field trips. Students are also working hard to be “bucket fillers” and “get caught reading!” Thank you to everyone who attended our Parents' Breakfast in February and to PTA and Hartford Staff for supplying parents with delicious breakfast treats! March is PARP Month, with a new title of Pick A Reading Partner. The hallways are decorated with a Star Wars theme and students are having fun dressing in Star Wars attire on Fridays during March. Thank you to our PARP Committee and teachers for making PARP Month exciting and rewarding for those students who are diligently reading!
Congratulations to our 4th, 5th and 6th graders who competed against several other schools during the “Battle of the Books” on March 13th at Skidmore College. All participants should be recognized for reading 10 books between October and March and remembering little details about each book in order to answer many difficult questions during the “Battle.” I am proud of our students and their dedication to reading!
With Spring comes exciting end of the year activities. I hope you will be available to join us for some of our events, which are listed below. Remember, time is the best gift you can give your children. We appreciate your support throughout the school year. Together, we can continue to make a difference in the education of Hartford students. Our goal is to provide children with a solid foundation for future success!!
Some important upcoming activities and events include:
· March 24: Country Family Dance for grades 3-6, sponsored by Elementary Student Government, 6:00-7:30pm
· March 28-30: ELA State Assessments for grades 3-8
· March 31: Career Day for grades 4 and 5
· April 7: Annual Talent Show starting at 7:00pm
· April 14: NO SCHOOL Good Friday
· April 17-21: Spring Vacation
· May 2-4: Math State Assessments for grades 3-8
· May 9: Grades 4-8 Local Spelling Bee at 8:45
· May 16: School Budget Vote
· May 25: Grade 4 Science Performance Test
· May 25: Tanager Voices Performance at 6:00pm
· May 29: NO SCHOOL – Memorial Day
· May 30: Kindergarten Round-Up
· June 5: Grade 4 Written Science Assessment
· June 7: Grades 5-7 Band/Chorus Concert at 6:00pm
· June 19: Elementary Awards Ceremony 9:00am
· June 20: Fifth Grade Moving Up Ceremony 9:00am
· June 21: Kindergarten Graduation 9:00am
· June 21: Pre-K Graduation 1:00pm
· June 21-22: Dismissal at 11:30
· June 22: Last day of classes
· June 23: High School Graduation at 7:00pm
Thank you again for your support outside of the classroom. I look forward to our continued partnership between home and school. Please do not ever hesitate to contact me with any questions. I can be reached at 632-5222 x120 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.